Monday, August 18, 2014

The night before...I hope.

I don't like it here.  Let me say that straight out.

I used to like it here. I used to be in awe of the Andes Mountains surrounding me.

I used to find humor in the ridiculous traffic, and the Frogger game we have to play to cross a street. I used to revel in the 68-72 degree "summer" days, and feel amazed at the different and tasty fruit.
Pitaya...so weird looking but so very yummy
I also used to have family here. And friends.


As of Friday, the third wave of adoptive families have come and gone from the hotel. There are other guests here, but they are Spanish speaking. For 2 nights, Karen and I have eaten alone in the dining room.

The hotel manager left for a month. She's back now.

People on the Facebook page talk about the "precious time" they spent in Bogota/Colombia. Yes, even those who had to spend extra time here. I must be built differently. Precious time can happen in Michigan too!

Maybe my thoughts will change- I'm not opposed to that. Right now Colombia is a reminder of a legal path so crammed with boulders, that at times it has been impassible. Certainly I was forced off the path several times.

I've seen peoples summer vacation posts, "Pure Michigan" as well as other locations (Kentucky seemed big this year). I've watched the evening daylight fade to darker and darker in the french doors at home when we skype Joel and Merwyn at night. Here, it's always dark by 6:30pm. The back to school pictures are popping up along with all the back to school preparations. My friend, home for the summer and living close to me for the first time in a while, is also headed back to work soon.

We envisioned the second half of our summer at home, immersing Karen in English, introducing her to friends and teaching her to ride a bike, to prepare for biking to school.

It's tempting to ask, where is God? The prayers...oh the prayers. I am endlessly praying and I am so humbled by the large number of people who tell me they are praying for us. He is here in each and every prayer. He is working. I may not see it, especially in the way I really want to see it. But the Bible says he is working all the time and so I believe it.

The details...about school, about English fluency. They are out of my hands. God has gifted Karen with a great deal of resilience. I think it will initially be hard for her. But, she will persevere, and we will be here to hold her up.

I don't know what tomorrow brings. I pray it brings a signed document for me to sign.

In the meantime, we wait and pray. I do hope I can sleep tonight.

(Hope to) see you soon!

PS- if I get off the plane and my hair is Diana Ross-esque, it's because I'm running dangerously low on my conditioner and the closest retail location is Puerto Rico. Or Florida.



2 comments:

  1. Love you, Wendy! I don't understand why this has had to go this way for you all, but I will trust with you that God sees....that He cares...that He loves! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete