Sunday, June 8, 2014

Saludos de Colombia!

It has been an eventful couple days. Saturday was spent packing. And packing. And packing. Then cleaning. And cleaning. And cleaning. You get the picture.

We left our home at 5:30pm- right on time. Yea for us! Oh, but wait. I realized I forgot to pack my Antivert. Planning to fly on an airplane and live for 2 months at a higher elevation? Yeah. We got off the highway and headed back home. Fortunately, we'd only gone to the next exit.

We left our car with the Jagenbergs and Bob drove us to the airport. It seems a Saturday night is not a big night to fly- we got through all the lines very quickly, ate dinner and boarded our airplane to Atlanta and from there, boarded our plane to Bogota. Joel enjoyed this last trip since he was able to watch The Lego Movie on his own personal screen. It was a quiet flight, except for his laughing. Once his movie ended he joined Merwyn and I in our attempts to sleep.

We arrived in Bogota at around 3:15am (we are now one hour behind you all). Our plane arrived early and it appears this is not a busy time at the airport- we breezed through customs. We went to the door to look for our driver and...and...no driver. No one standing with a sign with our names on it. Hmmmm. Foreign country. Foreign language. Middle of the night. No driver. Not good.

We waited a bit and ignored the man from the other hotel offering to take us his hotel. Finally we called our in-country rep- we tried to avoid this but didn't know what else to do. Soon after, we saw a man appear with a sign that read, "Essenburg Family". Yea! Not sure if he got there late (our plane DID arrive early) or if he was at a different door, but we were happy to finally see him.

We arrived at our hotel and were ushered into our rooms. It's interesting. We have 2 rooms, separated by a common area. Common to the entire hotel. We're getting used to that. We can shut the common area door at night and lock it, but the door is glass. We're told by another family here that they've yet to see anyone use the area.

Yes- another family we "met" on the Adopt Colombia Facebook page is here too! We enjoyed spending time together chatting and meeting their adopted little girl. She says she knows Karen, so that will be fun! Joel had the opportunity to share and get big brother practice today.

We took a walk to a store and bought some fruit and water. Mostly we hung out and rested. It was a long night!

Tonight before bed, Joel said, "I can't wait until we get Karen. I'm so excited! This just feels legendary!" Awesome!

We're tired, and time for bed. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts.

I'm having some blog trouble, so please tell me- can you sign in? Can you get email updates? Can you comment?

7 comments:

  1. Trying out comments to see if they work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until you get to meet Karen today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for u and Karen to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have tears. Joel's comment about it being legendary is just precious...and true! :) You're very heavy in my thoughts today...big, big day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be a "legendary" day - great word!! I just subscribed so I'll see if I get the next update.
    Praying for all today. OK the common area thing with glass door is a bit odd, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love being on this journey with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're praying for you on this life changing trip. That God will bless you with a new daughter & that you will feel 'complete' right away. Thanks for the updates.
    Love, the Danielsons

    ReplyDelete