The last few hours before stepping into that van were a rush. I didn't know until they handed me that visa that I would actually be going home. The embassy was to be closed on Friday and Monday, so if not that day, I wouldn't get it until 9/2. And, as has been our story, there were things that day that were unusual, unexpected and potential torpedoes to getting us out of there. When he handed me the visa with a smile on his face, I almost cried after saying, "Really? This is it?!".
The last 20% of packing is the hardest. It took the last several hours before leaving. We had our last dinner at Zuetana and our last celebration. We had enjoyed many celebrations as others before us received their sentencias and prepared to leave. It was just us, but we still celebrated with the "traditional" sweet treat.
Merwyn got us flights that night and we headed out of Zuetana for the final time, waved off by the manager and owner. I sat in the van and instead of feeling a sense of relief, I remained on edge. After so much going wrong and sideways, I waited for the next shoe to drop. I reflected on Bogota, the adventure that it was and how I wished I had more positive feelings about the place. It's not such a bad place. The legal ordeal simply took the shine off my time there.
Our plane left at 12:30am but I slept very little. I still had to get through Immigration. I don't know for sure when I began to feel relaxed, but I don't think it was until we saw Papi and Joel standing by the baggage claim. They had their backs to us, expecting us to come from the opposite direction. A great reunion it was! We got into my old, rusting van that I was sooo happy to see.
We drove home on roads so familiar to me. I was flying high. And, still! To say that I am happy and relieved to be home is a colossal understatement.
| Our fabulous neighbors welcomed us home with messages on our driveway! |
| Family from school put balloons on our mailbox! |
| First day of school |
| She loves her scooter and wants to wear dresses every day! |
| Portrait of Grace! |
| Karen's rendition of herself at school. |
All I have is thank you. You have been a blessing to us!
Hurrah!! Tears of joy that you are finally home. This is beautiful, and I LOVE the portrait of grace. Karen's smile is fabulous!! Praying for many refreshing moments to come your way!!
ReplyDelete